This is the site of our home office. We are located inside the historical Wingfield Plaza at 564 S. Main Street in the heart of downtown Camp Verde. Our office is located in the oldest continually occupied commercial building in the entire state! Since 1871 the Wingfield Plaza has had commercial business continuously active in it.
Camp Verde History:
Camp Verde is the earliest European settled community in the entire Verde Valley. Camp Verdes history dates back to the early 1860’s. It was established as a military fort on the banks of the Verde River in 1865 to protect settlers. The US Army first established a temporary outpost that protected the farms and farmers at West Clear Creek. In 1865, a second post was built and named Camp Lincoln. Soon the name was changed to Camp Verde. Due to a malaria outbreak, the post was moved to it’s current location in 1871. In 1878 the name was once again changed, this time to Fort Verde to signify a permanent installation. Fort Verde was active from 1871-1892.
Camp Verde is the oldest community in the Verde Valley. Anglo Americans settled in the Verde River Valley in the early 1860s and shortly after came into conflict with Tonto
Apache and Yavapai Indians in the area. In 1865, voluntary military units established a tent camp to protect settlers from Indian attacks. The voluntary military was relieved in 1866 by the U.S. Army. Camp Lincoln was established in 1865 one mile north of the current site and re-named Camp Verde in 1868. The Army moved the camp in 1870 to the current location to avoid Malaria that plagued the area. Camp Verde was renamed to Fort Verde in 1879 and was eventually abandoned after the Indian Wars ceased and was eventually sold at a public auction in 1899. The Fort Verde Historic State Park offers remnants of this early history of Camp Verde. Camp Verde has remained a strong community as a result of its desirable climate, geographic location and proximity to tourist attractions including Montezuma Castle National Monument, Tuzigoot National Monument and the Historic Fort Verde.
In 1979, the city of Camp Verde requested the historic site be established as a State Park. Now the site consists of four adobe buildings. One of the buildings is a museum with exhibits and displays that feature life predating modern subdivisions and amenities. The town now covers 46 square miles and was incorporated in 1986. The mostly sunny weather and moderate year-round temperatures attract retirees, tourists, and part time residents.
Located near the geographical center of Arizona, the Town of Camp Verde is located in the ewster portion of Yavapai County. It is 92 miles north of Phoenix. State Route 260 and Intereste 17 pass through camp Verde and serve as the major roadways servicing the community. The population is estimated at about 12,000 people.